Friday, April 19, 2013

Hecate's Own review

Hecate's Own by Dana Marie Bell is the second book in the Heart's Desire series about werewolf wizards and their mates.

I've been anxiously awaiting Hecate's Own since I read Shadow of the Wolf and Bell does not disappoint. In fact, I think I liked Hecate's Own better than Shadow of the Wolf though it's a close call :) I had enjoyed Zach's character in the first book and was glad that Bell further fleshed out Zach's emotional issues in the second book and didn't just focus on his magical abilities. His strength, humor, and deep love for those he considers his made for a compelling character while his battered self esteem and outsider status keep him from being too perfect. Jo, on the other hand, starts as a character I didn't like but she learns from her mistakes and is willing to risk a lot in order to help Zach so she grew on me and by the end, I really liked her.

It was fun to read about the Beckett and Evans families again and to see inside the witches court. New characters like the Witch Prince and Gen were fascinating. I even liked learning more about the evil Godwins :) The chemistry between different characters and the camaraderie among the Beckett brothers and between the Becketts and the Evans families is fun to read and the action in the story definitely keeps it moving along quickly.

It's a toss up whether I want to read Gareth's or Daniel's book next - though of course I really want to read both! I've said it before and I'll say it again - Bell writes stories and series that are addicting and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Synopsis


When a witch is hot for teacher, the sparks are sure to fly.

Zachary Beckett has been a screw-up most of his life, but he's finally done something right. He saved his brother's life at great personal cost, and now he's on his way to Cleveland to rain as a witch. There he meets Johra Yashodar, a teacher with the belief that Zach is still a screw-up. It isn't long before Zach realizes he's hot for teacher.

Jo has never met someone like Zachary Beckett. His blue eyes haunt her, his body is made for sin and his magic... well. The less said about that the better. He's the worst witch she's ever met, bar none. But Jo is determined to help him, and to do that she'll fight the attraction she feels towards him tooth and nail.

But things aren't always what they seem, and when Zach realizes he's under a hex he comes into his own... as one of Hecate's Own. Chosen by the Goddess Herself to fight evil, it's up to Zach and his brothers to save Jo from a fate worse than death.

Warning: This novel contains explicit sex, graphic language, a sexy, awkward, blue-eyed wolf-witch and a woman who can make his dreams come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment