Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Witness review

The Witness











I unashamedly love Nora Roberts. I've been reading her books since I was twelve and I still rush to get her releases as soon as they come out. Technically, I read The Witness when it came out last year but it was released in paperback a couple of weeks ago so I am reviewing it now.

The Witness is quite possibly the best novel Roberts has released in years - and that's saying something given that I have yet to read one of her books that I haven't enjoyed immensely! 

I loved Elizabeth/Abigail - she reminded me just a little of Sheldon Cooper on the Big Bang Theory. She is socially awkward but trying to have a normal life and interact with people without standing out. She's crazy smart but understands that doesn't necessarily help her in dealing with people and she doesn't throw it in everyone's face all the time. 

Brooks is a fairly typical small town cop. He's funny, patient, caring, and protective. Plus, Abigail revs up his curiosity and he just can't seem to stop trying to figure her out. His love of law and justice are tempered by an understanding that not everything in life is black and white and sometimes the law can't apply. 

The Witness' small town setting and local personalities are vividly written and it's easy to immerse yourself in the world Roberts has created. My heart alternately ached and pounded while reading the book as I rooted for the characters and waited for what would happen next. If you haven't read, The Witness yet I recommend doing so at the earliest opportunity.

Synopsis


Daughter of a controlling mother, Elizabeth finally let loose one night, drinking at a nightclub and allowing a strange man's seductive Russian accent lure her to a house on Lake Shore Drive. The events that followed changed her life forever.

Twelve years later, the woman known as Abigail Lowery lives on the outskirts of a small town in the Ozarks. A freelance programmer, she designs sophisticated security systems--and supplements her own security with a fierce dog and an assortment of firearms. She keeps to herself, saying little, revealing nothing. But Abigail's reserve only intrigues police chief Brooks Gleason. Her logical mind, her secretive nature, and her unromantic viewpoints leave him fascinated but frustrated. He suspects that Abigail needs protection from something--and that her elaborate defenses hide a story that must be revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment