Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Magic Burns review


I'm back...I know it has been two months (!) since I've posted but I promise that I won't drop off the face of the planet like that again. To get back in the groove of reviewing, I'm posting about a book in a series that I devoured in a couple of weeks - the entire series is compulsively readable!

Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews is the second book in the Kate Daniels series and Kate is quickly becoming one of my favorite book characters! She is smart, sarcastic, strong, and willing to fight for what she believes in - what more could you ask from a lead character?

Magic Burns has us revisiting the Atlanta of Magic Bites and this time a magic flare, a once every seven years event, is happening and ramping up the magic powers around the city - including the magic in Kate's blood.
Great except it also amps up the magic of anyone Kate has to go up against as well and there are never a shortage of people for Kate to kill!

Andrews retains the vivid writing and world building that she began with Magic Bites and introduces some new characters and some new hints at the source of Kate's power in Magic Burns. We also get to visit the People and the Pack as well as the Order and the Guild so lots of familiar faces to go with all the interesting new ones.

All in all, Magic Burns is a great second book and follows up Magic Bites nicely. I highly recommend checking out the Kate Daniels series if you enjoy paranormal romance or urban fantasy books.

Synopsis


Down in Atlanta, tempers – and temperatures – are about to flare…

As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate’s going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one.

When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta’s paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest – and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can’t stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive…

1 comment:

  1. I cannot express enough how very much in love with this series I am. I think about these characters all the time. I want more! I want a movie. I want. I want. I want. Ilona Andrews has the most beautiful way of bringing us into this amazing world. So glad you're loving it too!

    ReplyDelete