Friday, January 4, 2013

The Luminary review - updated

Since I am blaming (or thanking, depending on your point of view) Elle for putting this blog in my head, it seemed only fair to have one of the first reviews be on her first full length novel The Luminary. It's been on my to read pile since it was published in September 2012 and I feel bad that I didn't move it to the top of the list earlier.

Meera is a fantastic main character that, despite being a powerful witch, was really easy to relate to. Ghanem was equal parts sexy protector and irritating male making Meera (and me!) alternately want to jump his bones and smack him upside the head. The chemistry between the two characters practically lit the words up in flames while the tension created by their pasts and secrets kept the relationship, and the reader, on the edge.

The character of Carrine irritated me so much it was ridiculous! I really wanted to hit her almost the entire story but she was necessary and not loving every character makes for a more interesting and "real" story in my opinion. I loved the other Guardians especially the smartass Stefan. The other witches, Bevva and Calliope, were also interesting but were more of a mystery since very little was revealed about them in this book - just enough to make you want to read a book about each one!

The Luminary is the first in the Brennan Coven Trilogy and it is a fantastic beginning. It is now available in both e-book and print.

The Soother, the second book in the trilogy featuring Calliope, will be released in March 2013!

Synopsis

A witch running from death. A warrior seeking redemption. Only one can win a battle that may very well cost them their hearts and strip them of their souls.

When Meera Brennan learns she’s a Luminary, one of the most powerful witches in existence, it rocks her already fragile world. The revelation explains the disturbing episodes that made her question her sanity, but does little to soothe the sting of discovering her life is now at risk. To save herself and keep peace within the veiled community, Meera will have to hone her powers and brave an ancient realm to destroy the slayer’s magickal source. She alone must dispel chaos and ensure the balance of good and evil for all mankind.

Banished and stripped of his guardian powers because of a witch, Ghanem Adamo, former prince of the Saharren realm, receives a chance at redemption when his estranged father reveals an immortal battle destined to alter all realms. In order to protect the innocent, regain his title and reunite with his family, Ghanem must destroy the slayers’ source of power and bring down their terrorizing leader.

Her life . . .

Or his throne . . .

When the war against the slayers force Meera and Ghanem to work together, more than magickal sparks fly. Challenged by fate, can love survive a nefarious battle that can result in only one prize?

4 comments:

  1. I read this witchy book, too, and loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! What a way to start my day! Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I hold Meera and Ghanem very close to my heart, so I'm glad you liked them!

    Wait until you see what Carrine is up to in the next book. Don't worry, Calliope gives her the business!

    I plan on sharing your post with the world this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed The Luminary very much, especially the interplay between Meera and Ghanem. Looking forward to Book II!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary - Thank you so much for visiting Just A Reader! I'm glad you also like The Luminary and I too cannot wait for the next book. It's going straight to the top of my to-read pile :)

      I hope you stop by the blog again. I'm still feeling my way in this new endeavor so if you have any thoughts on what you'd like to see here, please let me know!

      Delete